Subject: FAQs (without answers)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 93 10:35:34 +0200

>   I added you to the abalone list.  In future, send list maintenance
>   requests to [email-masked].
>
>   Thanks,
>   Mike
>
>   P.S. Feel free to start a discussion, as nothing is happening on the
>   list right now.
>

Ok, let's go.

Abalone and me.

I first played Abalone four or five years ago, without being really
interested.  Then, I was recently offered a board as a advertising
gift from a big computer company. I've been playing regularly with my
friends since. What confused me at first was the lack of knowledge of
any game principle, like fighting for the center, or avoiding the
corners, etc. (The only other game I play is chess, where all base
tactics and strategy are well-known).  But I finally went past this
situation and now I really enjoy it.

Lots of questions come to me, though:

1) What are the general principles/tactics/opening moves of the game?
2) What is the standard notation for the games ?
3) Are there any Abalone federations/tournaments/e-mail games ?
4) Are there any board or playing programs available (commercially or by FTP) ?

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Max FROUMENTIN ([email-masked])
Laboratoire d'informatique fondamentale de Lille
France
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------