Subject: learning othello strategies: paper available

From: [email-masked] (Barney Pell)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 17:35:46 PDT

I just found this paper on the neuroprose archives.
Below is the bibtex entry I created for it.  The url field shows how to
retrieve it using mosaic, and also the ftp address.

--- Barney

% Bibtex entry and summary by Barney Pell
@TechReport{moriarty:othello,
  author =       "David Moriarty and Risto Mikkulainen",
  title =        "Evolving Complex Othello Strategies Using Marker-Based
                  Genetic Encoding of Neural Networks",
  institution =  "Department of Computer Sciences, University of Texas at Austin",
  year =         1993,
  type =         "Technical Report",
  number =       "AI93-206",
  author_address ="[email-masked]",
  month =        "September",
  url =          "ftp://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/neuroprose/moriarty.othello.ps.Z",
  annote =       "Artificial Evolution of NNs using Marker-Passing genes.
                  Nets train first against random players, and eventually
                  against a 3-ply a-b player based on positional evaluation w/o
                  mobility.  Creatures rank board squares, and
                  highest-ranking legal square is chosen as its move.
                  Results: learns to be positional to beat random opponents.
                  Then discovers mobility strategy to beat a-b!  "
}