Subject: Call For Papers - The Computer Strategy Game Programming Workshop

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Irwin K. King)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 15:01:03 +0800 (HKT)

Noting the short time frame for authors to prepare for the workshop,
the organizing committee has made some modifications to the submission
policy of the CSGP workshop.  A new version of the announcement is
provided below.

	   WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
	   ************************************************
       (Extended Abstract Submission Deadline: April 23, 1995)

             COMPUTER STRATEGY GAME PROGRAMMING WORKSHOP

			 in conjunction with
	   The ICCA 8th Computer Chess World Championships

	The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
			Friday May 26th, 1995

		      Workshop organized by the
		Department of Information Engineering
		    Department of Computer Science
				 and
		Department of Electronic Engineering,
     Faculty of Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong

In conjunction with the ICCA's 8th World Computer Chess Championship
(WCCC) held during the same period, the Computer Strategy Game
Programming (CSGP) workshop intends to bring together researchers and
practitioners who are interested in computer strategy game
programming.  The objective of the workshop is to provide a discussion
platform for all interested in theoretical and applied aspects of game
programming and to promote collaboration between researchers in
academia and industry.

Papers are invited for both oral and poster presentation.  Oral
presentations will be allocated 20-30 minutes (15-25 mins for
presentation and 5 mins for questions).  Authors interested in the
above computer game programming workshop are invited to send 3 copies
of an extended abstract in English (no more than six pages containing
title, authors, and affiliations) and a cover page (containing title,
authors, affiliations, contact author, full address of the contact
author, telephone, fax number, and email of the contact author) to the
workshop coordinator listed below before April 23, 1995.  To have a
better coordination, we strongly recommend the interested authors to
fill out and submit the questionnaire form at the end of this
announcement.

Papers will be refereed by a local committee.  Final notification of
acceptance/rejection will be emailed to authors by May 5, 1995.  All
accepted papers will be simply bound and distributed to workshop
attendees.

All workshop participants are welcome to observe ICCA's 8th Computer
Chess World Championship.  Attendance is included in the workshop
registration fee.

Workshop Topics
===============

All aspects of computer strategy game programming including theory,
algorithm, analysis, interface design, etc. are welcomed. Games
include, but are not limited to chess, go, shogi, and other strategy
games (e.g., Diplomacy) will be discussed.

Workshop Cost
=============

The registration fee is expected to be HKD $350 (HKD $150 for students).

Important Dates
===============

Submission of Abstracts of Papers : April 23, 1995
Acceptance Notification           : May 5, 1995

All correspondence and submission of abstracts/papers should be sent
to:

Dr. Irwin King
CSGPW Coordinator
Department of Computer Science
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Shatin, New Territories
Hong Kong
Phone: +(852) 2609-8398
Fax:   +(852) 2603-5024
Email: [email-masked]

Tentative Workshop Schedule
===========================

	     Computer Strategy Game Programming Workshop

Friday           May 26, 1995    HSH Auditorium, The Chinese University
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 8:30            Coffee and registration
 8:50            Opening Address
 9:00 - 10:20    Workshop Presentation
10:20 - 10:40    Coffee Break
10:40 - 12:00    Workshop Presentation
12:00 -  2:00    Lunch
 2:00 -  3:40    Workshop Presentation
 3:40 -  4:00    Coffee Break
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

General Information:
====================

Date:   May 25,      ICCA 8th WCCC Opening Ceremony
        May 26,      Computer Strategy Game Programming Workshop
        May 25 - 29, 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm, Round 1-5 of ICCA 8th WCCC Tournament
        May 29 - 30, Final Round of ICCA 8th WCCC Tournament
        May 30,      12:00 pm, ICCA 8th WCCC Award Ceremony

Venue:
======

The conference will be held at the Engineering Building, the Chinese
University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong.

Climate:
========

May is summertime in Hong Kong and the average maximum day-time
temperature in Hong Kong is between 23-28 degC (74-82 degF).  Expect
rain (average of 285 mm in May) and humid weather conditions.

Hotel Accommodation:
====================

Attendees may register at the hotel of their choice, but the closest
hotel to the Chinese University is the Royal Park Hotel, (address
telephone, etc.), Reservation: Ms. Kimmie Mak (852) 2694-3892, Fax:
(852) 2601-3666.  A superior/twin room costs HKD $900/night.  Workshop
participants must specify that they are "CUHK ICCA Workshop" attendees
to avail themselves of the above rates.

Workshop Registration:
======================

The workshop registration fee is expected to be HKD $350 (HKD $150 for
qualified students who include a "certificate of student status" from
their academic advisor) which includes a copy of the workshop
proceeding, coffee breaks, and a lunch.  Those wishing to register
should send a check or money order in HKD payable to "The Chinese
University" with the following information to:

Ms. Zee Au Din
CSGP Workshop Registration
Department of Computer Science
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Shatin, New Territories
Hong Kong
[email-masked]
Tel: (852) 2609-8441
Fax: (852) 2603-5024

		   Registration/Questionnaire Form

NAME:    _________________________________________
ADDRESS: _________________________________________
         _________________________________________
         _________________________________________    
PHONE:   ___________________
FAX:     ___________________
EMAIL:   ___________________________________________

I plan to submit an extended abstract by April 23, 1995:
YES  [   ]      NO   [   ]

Title of Abstract :_________________________________

Type of Presentation:
Oral [   ]      Poster [   ]

Note: 

(1) Late registrations will be accepted on-site, but places at the
luncheon are limited, so advance email to Ms. Zee at [email-masked] or
[email-masked] would be appreciated.

(2) The exchange rate as of January 1995 is USD $1 = HKD $7.70.