Subject: Hex Mapping - Information Request

From: [email-masked] (Steve Hodsdon)
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 94 17:35:23 GMT

(I put this request out on rec.games.design and rec.games.programmer.  I 
just remembered this mailing list so I thought I'd send it to all of 
you.  If this isn't appropriate for this mailing list, then please 
ignore it.)

I'm putting together a FAQ on hex grid algorithms.  What I'm looking for 
is input -- what would *you* like to see included in the FAQ.

So far I have Andy Skinner's Hex Lib package, (posted on 1 June 94), 
Neil Kirby's posting of 30 November 93 that included "range.c" and some 
excellent answers to the questions posted, Timur Tabi's series of 
articles first published in OS/2 Monthly on a game he was working on, 
and some assorted viewpoints that I have saved over the past nine months 
or so.

I'd like to cover the following sections:

Internal Data Structures.
Distance Calculations.
Line of Sight Calculations.
Closest Path Calculation.
Display Algorithms.
Point in Hex.

and the latest question that I have seen:

Hex Contour Map Calculations.

I'd like to get a preliminary version done by the end of the month and 
released to the net.  All those that contribute to it will have a "pre- 
release" mailed to them to look over and correct any errors that I may 
introduce.

So, if you want something covered that is not on the list or you may have 
some input on one of the subjects, please feel free to post or email me.

Thanks.

Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
: It's me that's been dogging your shadow,    |  [email-masked]      :
: It's me that's been a shadowing your dog... |   Pragmatic Designs         :
:                                        10cc |  I *AM* the company!        :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------