Subject: Int'l Symposium on Board Games in Academia (CFP)

From: Bob Levinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 20:28:19 -0700

Board Games in Academia

International Colloquium, April 9-13, 1995, Leiden, The Netherlands
Abstracts/Articles/Presentations:

The International Colloquium on "Board Games in Academia" invites all scholars
interested in game research to submit articles, in particular those scholars
who utilize board games in their specific disciplines. The Colloquium intends
to discuss the role of board games in academic research and will try to enhance
the multi-disciplinary co-operation in games research.
All scholars who wish to participate with a presentation of their article are
requested to submit abstracts before: February 1, 1995. All abstracts should 
be written in English and not exceed 500 words. All participants receive a copy
of the abstract book at the start of the Colloquium.
Those scholars who wish to write descriptive articles on games are requested to 
submit their articles before: April 30, 1995.These articles will be published   
in the proceedings of the Colloquium.
Priority to the acceptance of articles will be given to articles related to 
the theme of the colloquium, i.e. those scholars who wish to write on the role of
board games in their discipline of academic research. These researchers are
requested to submit their theme related articles before: February 15, 1995.
These articles will be published prior to the Colloquium.
If abstracts and/or articles are accepted the contributors are requested to
present their findings at the Colloquium. Presentations are given in English
and do not exceed 30 minutes. All speakers will receive a complimentary copy
of their publication and they enjoy priority over other participants with
their hotel reservations and other preferances. 

Notes for Contributors:
Contributors in English are invited. The length of papers should not exceed 
15 pages (double spaced) size A4. Where possible submissions of the paper on
disk in addition to the typed manuscript would be appreciated. Apple Macintosh
compatible 3.5" disks are accepted; formatted in 'word'.
Figures/Tables: Black and white figures must be drawn to a standard suitable
for direct reproduction. Coloured figures and photographs can be accepted only
if the author provides funding to cover the costs of reproduction. Tables
should be drawn without vertical or horizontal rules and contents should be
spaced to aid clarity. The approximate position of the table in the text
should be shown in the margin of the typescript. It is the author's
responsibility to obtain copyright clearance for reproduction of figures and
tables and to ensure adequate acknowledgement.
Footnotes should not be included. Notes may appear at the end of the main text
numbered with Arabic numerals.
The Colloquium follows the Harvard system for references: in the text, in 
brackets, author's name and date of work: in the alphabetical reference list at
the end of the paper, name and initials of the author, year of publication, 
title of book, place of publication, publisher. Page numbers for reference in
the text are necessary only inthe case of direct quotations. If the reference
is to a periodical the title should be given, volume in Arabic numerals, part
number and page numbers. If in doubt, consult the Chicago Manual of Style.

Registration form:

Last date of registration: April 9 (regular), January 15 (with concert/dinner)

Please cross and print:
Title: Mr/Mrs/Mss ________   Subtitle: Prof./Dr/Drs/Ir: ________________
Name and initials:______________________________________________________ 
Institute/department: __________________________________________________
Postal address: ________________________________________________________
Post/Zip code + country: _______________________________________________
Phone/Fax number: ______________________ Number of Companions:__________
Date of arrival:  ________________ Date of departure: __________________ 
By train/air/other: ______________ Diet/special requests: ______________

I wish to attend:
*       Reception
        April 9 (evening)                        Yes/No (free of charge) 
*	Colloquium dinner
	April 11 (evening)   Dfl. 55,-    x__    Yes/No Dfl. __________
*	Concertgebouw:
	Dutch Philharmonic Orchestra
	April 12 (evening)   Dfl. 55,-    x__    Yes/No Dfl. __________
*	Farewell Lunch
	April 13 (afternoon)                     Yes/No (free of charge)

Registration fee (only if hotel reservations are not requested):                
before January 15, 1995,     Dfl.100,-    x__    Yes/No Dfl. __________
after  January 15, 1995,     Dfl.140,-    x__    Yes/No Dfl. __________

                                                 Totlal Dfl. __________

*Payment is included as: International Money Order Yes/No
Dutch participants: evt. Girobetaalkaart t.n.v. A.J. de Voogt, Baarn, 
o.v.v. BGAreg. fee.

*Charge my (please cross):
Diners / Am.ex / Eurocard / Mastercard for the total amount of: Dfl. ________
No cards excepted with expiration dates earlier than April 1, 1995.
Card number:_ _ _ _-_ _ _ _ _ _-_ _ _ _ _  Expiration date: _ _/_ _

_____________________________________________________________________________
Signature:                                 Date:

Hotel
reservations:

Hotels in Leiden have only limited availability during the days of the Colloquium. Therefore, the organization commitee has reserved a number of rooms in the   hotels listed below. Registration fee is included in the package. Priority will be given to participants from overseas.
Kindly send your reservations with payments (enclosed/credit card) to the       organization committee before February 1, 1995  
(Rates for double rooms, see other form):

1.  Hotel de Witte Singel
    Centre of Leiden, budget hotel.
    incl. reg. fee. breakfast, taxes, April 9-13 (4 nights)   Dfl. 375, _______

2.  Hotel Nieuw Minerva or Hotel De Doelen
    Centre of Leiden, middle class hotels.
    incl. reg. fee, breakfast, taxes, April 9-13 (4 nights)   Dfl. 575, _______

3.  Hotel Golden Tulips ***
    Centre of Leiden, upper class hotel.
    incl. reg. fee, breakfast. taxes, April 9-13 (4 nights)   Dfl. 875, _______

Please, indicate your second choice to guarantee a reservation:

    Hotel de Witte Singel / Hotel Nieuw Minerva - De Doelen / Hotel Golden tulip

Optional extra nights after April 13 (deducted from total amount if not available):

1. Dfl. 70,- p.p.p.n. x number of nights   ____	=	Dfl.  _____________
2. Dfl. 120,-p.p.p.n. x numberof nights    ____	=	Dfl.  _____________
3. Dfl. 195,-p.p.p.n. x numberof nights	   ____ =	Dfl.  _____________

Total costs hotel (registration fee is included):       Dfl.  _____________

Name and initials: _______________________________________________
Postal address:    _______________________________________________
Post/Zip code and country: _______________________________________

*Payment is included as: International Money Order	Yes/No
Dutch participants: evt. Girobetaalkaart t.n.v. A..l. de Voogt, Baanl, o.v.v.   BGA hotel package.

*Charge my (please cross):
Diners / Amex / Eurocard / Mastercard for the total amount of: Dfl. ________
No cards excepted with expiration dates earlier than April 1, 1995.
Card number: _ _ _ _-_ _ _ _ _ _-_ _ _ _ _  Expiration date: _ _/_ _

____________________________________________________________________________
Signature:                                  Date:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Abstract to be submitted before February 1, 1995.
Article title: __________________________________
Perspective:   __________________________________ (e.g. comp.science,philosophy
					 history, etc., or state 'descriptive')
Presentation title (if different from article): _______________________________
Overhead:	Yes/No
Slides:         Yes/No

Demonstration

There is a possibility to demonstrate board games in a seperate room during the
various tea and coffee breaks. Those who wish to demonstrate the game(s) of 
their lecture before or after their presentation are requested to indicate
which game(s) and how many of these games they intend to bring.
	Kind of game(s):   ___________________________
	Number of boards:  ___________________________
	Befor/after the presentation: ________________
Please, be aware that the organization cannot be held responsible for any 
damage or loss of game boards.

Insurance

Please provide your own travel, accident, and other personel insurance. The 
organization cannot be held responsible for the cancellation of the Colloquium
in unforseen circumstances. We, therefore, recommend a cancellation insurance
for your hotel and travel arrangements.

Cancellation

If you wish to cancel your registration, your registration fee will be partly
(50%) reimbursed if cancelled before February 1, 1995.  After this date, fees 
cannot be reimbursed.  If you wish to leve the Colloquium earlier than
scheduled, then the organisation should be informed 24 hours beforehand to
prevent unnecessary hotel charges.  Other changes in your reservation should
be made in close cooperation with the organisation; however, most changes will
not be possible after February 1, 1995.

Companions/double rooms

There are special rates/packages available for double rooms.  If you wish to
book a double room, pleade indicate `double' on your hotle reservation form
and return it with your registration and the following amounts for four nights.
Please also indicate a second choice:
f 525,-	  Hotel de Witte Singel, each extra night f 110,-
f 775,-   Hotel Nieuw Minderva/De Doelen, each extra night f 170,-
f 1025,-  Hotel Golden Tulip, each extra night f 235,-
Companions who do not participate in the Colloquium still have the opportunity
to participate in the excursion/concert.  Indicate the number of people on the
registration form and enclose the right amount.  It should be noted that the 
multi-disciplinary character of the Colloquium and the various demonstrations
will make the Colloquium enjoyable to both compnaions and participants.

Hotel confirmation/Travel arrangements

You will receive a confirmation of your hotel room after payments have been
completed.  If extra nights are not available the amount for extra nights on
your reservation form will be reimbursed/not charged on your credit card.  The
American Express Travel Service offices are recommended for this Colloquium's 
travel arrangements.  We expect them to co-operate for your flight/train 
arrangements as much as possible.